Monday, November 23, 2015

Of Learning and Social Media

I would like to publically thank Dave Mulder from Dordt College, as well as my Social Media classmate for the learning opportunities, past, present and hopefully future. I am going to leave #DCSM4T on one of my tweet deck columns for a while yet. I think that I can continue to grow as a professional through mass of material or connections to material  in the twitter postings that I am privileged to be part of.

Once upon a time, in the not so recent past (some shame here) my impression of social media was generally "fluff". I have now come to see it as useful tools in a professional's learning network, will definite possibilities for classroom implementation. How I am going to make the learning implementation work, I am not sure, but it is definitely something I will keep in mind. I think it will be another set of tools to be used to help improve the learning in my classrooms.

I had previously spoken with my students about social media and permanent footprints, but now have something more positive to put in the puzzle: purposeful creation of positive prints.

I am very impressed with my experiences with tweet deck, what a wonderful way of keeping track of ongoing conversation.

I think over time I would like to involve myself more in the video broadcast area as I think that will become something more needful in my future career. I work in a privately funded school in Ontario and I think parents are beginning to think more about dollars in paying for Christian education than about the value of the Christian education in and of itself. I have a feeling that it's going to be necessary to send the classroom home once in a while, if only in short segments.

I do wonder about copyright stuff in connection with this. If I broadcast portions of an assembly that include production of copyright material (songs, skits etc) how is that handled?


No comments:

Post a Comment